Get the Right Measurements for Florida Metal Roofing
How to Accurately Measure Your Roof
At Tri County Metals, we know how challenging it can be when you’re ready to get a quote on a Trenton metal roofing project and you’re asked to provide the measurements of your roof. It’s infrequent that a home or building is a perfect square and the calculations that a contractor makes require some specific information about angles and dimensions. Our knowledgeable team has put together a simple guide to try to ease this process for you below.
If after checking it out you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (877) 670-2224.
Measuring your metal roof doesn’t have to be a pain if you gather some info first:
- You should start by drawing a top-down perspective of your roof. The drawing should be large enough that you can write down the feet and inches of each separate line. Writing down these values is the most important thing, not that the drawing is to scale!
- What is the metal roof going to be used for, exactly? A house, shed, barn, or siding for example.
- Does your home or building have a porch or areas with different roof pitches that may necessitate transition flashing?
- Are there one or more chimneys on the house? Gather the measurements for them.
- Aside from chimneys, are there any other roof penetrations to note? Your building may have plumbing pipes or stove pipes, for example—what are their diameters?
- Is there an existing layer of singles you plan to install the metal roof over?
- Do you intend to use 1x4 purlins, or install your metal roof over synthetic underlayment?
- Do you have an attic? You may be planning to vent the ridge in order to allow hot air to escape. Is the soffit vented?
- Have you considered whether you’ll want to add insulation beneath your new metal roof?
Have Questions? We Have Answers
We’ve tried to ensure that the guide above is as comprehensive as possible to help you get started with your measurements. Getting as much of this information together as possible can help your contractor provide the most accurate estimate possible for your Trenton metal roofing project.
If you find you still have questions, contact us at (877) 670-2224.